The Church of the Rural Congregation of Heinola

The Church of the Rural Congregation of Heinola is situated north of the city.

The church on a hill and the adjacent cemetery and vicarage are a site of cultural and historic value. Surrounded by the cemetery, the cruciform-plan church was built in 1755. The transepts taper outwards, and the faces of the roof, with special shingle patterns, are of slightly curved shape. The present appearance of the church is from the 1930s, when alterations were carried out according to designs by the architect Kauno S. Kallio. The mural paintings of the interior are by the painter Hannes Malin of Heinola. The church seats between 800 and 900 persons.

The wooden, two-storey belfry was built in 1834 and is younger than the church, while the two bells are older, having been cast in Stockholm in 1755 and 1772. Both the belfry and the church were repainted in 2005 for the 250th anniversary celebration of the church.

Address: Kirkkotie 1, 18300 Heinola
Enquiries: tel. +358 3 859 2561
Further information:
Heinolan seurakunta (in Finnish)